Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Eye floaters


Eye Floaters: What AreThey?
By Lu Baker
Takeaways
People see eye floaters as small specks, cobwebs, or clouds moving in their field of vision.
Nearly everybody has floaters or will develop them at some point of life.
They are harmless, and they usually are just bits of membrane.
Some of the people call them floaters; the Eye doctors call them "vitreous opacities." Vitreous floaters (eye floaters, vitreous opacities) are tiny, cloudy, clumps of cells that appear in the otherwise clear fluid (vitreous) that fills the back three-fourths of the eye. People see eye floaters as small specks, cobwebs, or clouds moving in their field of vision. A woman called Emily Flynn, has even said that hers are like little fuzz balls, and that she has flown half way around the world to have them removed.
After more than 100 pinpoint zaps from a laser beam during about a half hour visit to a Northern Virginia office park, the fuzz balls was gone. The surgeon, Dr. John Karickhoff has done this same procedure over 1,400 times in the past fifteen years and he claims a very successful rate of around more than 90 percent, with minimal risk of any complications. Still many of the ophthalmologists have never even heard of this procedure and even most would recommend against it. Nearly everybody has floaters or will develop them at some point of life, especially older and the nearsighted people.
These funny shaped floaters are like specks or snakes, which just float through a person's field of vision, and are most easily seen when you look against a light back ground like a blue sky or a white wall. I had visited my eye doctor years ago when I noticed these floaters. It scared me, but the doctor told me then that it was a teenage disease. So I just left it at that, it doesn't bother me now as much. It is right when the back ground is light, that you really notice them. Mine were the snake like floaters that went back and forth right in your eye path of reading. Floaters come and go with eye movements, such as blinking. They follow eye movements, but lag behind and float to a halt a few seconds after the eyes stop moving.
These images are most obviously appear when looking at a bright, uniform field of vision, such as a white wall or a clear sky. People may experience one or several floaters in one eye or both. Floaters are not the same as the spots you see after looking at intense light such as from a flashbulb. They are harmless, and they usually are just bits of membrane that have become dislodged from other parts of the eye. Karickhoff has estimated that around 95 percent of the people who have these floaters ought to leave them alone. But for that 5 percent, they can be a legitimate problem.
Some musicians have said that they couldn't read their sheet music quickly enough because the floaters would get in the way. Karickhoff has tried for many years to get the procedure accepted into the medical mainstream. This really could ruin a patient's quality of life. Only a handful of doctors in the United States, maybe a few as two, regularly treat floaters with a laser surgery. American Academy of Ophthalmology, said that most of the ophthalmologists believe that the procedure is unnecessary. The Ophthalmologist uses the laser to clear vision, but most experts say it is a waste of time.
If the patients insist on the treatment, then the laser treatment can be a better choice than the more common alternative, a vitrectomy, which involves removing most or all of the eyeballs internal fluid. Many of the eye doctors are too dismissive of how irritating a floater can be. Just compare it to trying to read a book while holding a pencil directly in front of one of your eyes. This could just be so irritating and maybe you would feel it will drive you up a wall. In Emily Flynn's case, her optometrist in New Zealand told her that the floaters were common and not harmful, and that she should learn to live with it. So she read up on it and learned about Dr. Karickhoff from his Web site.
Karickhoff had said that he knows first hand that the floaters can be troubling, and that he had what he called "whopper" of a floater in his own eye. The doctor was very skeptical when, on a Florida vacation, he saw a newspaper ad touting laser surgery for floaters. So then he sat in on a surgery preformed by another ophthalmologist and later allows this eye doctor to operate on his eye, and the procedure was a success. Not long after, Karickhoff began performing the procedures himself. Both eye doctors have since operated on thousands of patients. Karickhoff has said that he declines to treat patients who are making a mountain out of a molehill, because some of the patients will almost never be satisfied. The eye floaters can irritate some people, and others they don't notice too much at all. Your eye doctor will know what is best for you, if you have floaters, because your eye doctor may see if it may be more serious and how to treat.
More resources
www.eyefloaters.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was treated by Dr. Karickhoff back in January 08 and had most of my floaters obliterated. My particular case was a little bit more complicated, because my floaters were way in the back and Dr. Karickhoff warned me that he couldn't guarantee a successful treatment. After the treatment, I saw a 95% improvement. I actually had a big floater with some spider webs. The web was gone and only a couple of small and floaters (2 or three) were left, but they were so difficult to notice that only when looking at extremely bright backgrounds I would see them. Today, November 08, Dr. Karickhoff attempted to obliterate the remaining fragments of my floater, but, again, because they were so far in the back of my eye, he said he wasn't sure if the treatment would be successful. I'm happy to say that I don't see any floaters at all now!! I'm so happy to enter the new year with a new eye!! The first doctor I saw when I first noticed my floater warned me not to have this procedure done. I'm so happy I haven't listened to him. If you're experiencing floaters, do yourself a favor and see Dr. Karickhoff. There's also another Dr. in Florida who does this procedure and accounting to my research, this other doctor is also very good. If you want to contact me about it, please feel free to do so. I had concerns about this procedure and I felt more comfortable after I contacted someone who was also treated by Dr. Karickhoff. My email address is isaiah8v20@aol.com. I may not reply right away though. I have Anthem (BCBS) and they paid for the treatment!!!!! I work with insurance companies and I was very surprised to see them paying for a procedure like this. I wish you the best and a new year without floaters!!!

eye floaters treatment said...

Eye floaters also known as vitreous floaters which fill up the back 3/4ths of a person’s eye and hence one can observe small shadows on the retina. To individuals eye floaters appear alike tiny flecks, cobweb or cloud-like formation. There are two ways for removal of eye floaters known as vitrectomy and
laser Treatment. Laser treatment is more accurate than vitrectomy.